Re: Science in Literature

Gene Thompson (gthompso@ccsf.cc.ca.us)
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 19:06:16 -0800 (PST)

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 19:06:16 -0800 (PST)
From: Gene Thompson <gthompso@ccsf.cc.ca.us>
To: Pinhole Listserv <pinhole@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Re: Science in Literature

I know why for the cannons, but not the mercury. The cannons were to
dislodge a body that would otherwise float (due to the gases produced
during decomposition) but that was tangled up in roots or weeds. The
shock waves often were enough to jiggle things around so that the body
could break away and rise to the surface.

Ellen Koivisto
George Washington High School
San Francisco