More about foam....

Karen Kalumuck (karenk@exploratorium.edu)
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 12:44:59 -0800 (PST)

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 12:44:59 -0800 (PST)
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
From: karenk@exploratorium.edu (Karen Kalumuck)
Subject: More about foam....

Hi all!
Many fascinating answers have been proposed! Virtually all of
which have some basis in reality. Foam occurs in great abundance at beach
areas no where near sewage plants, depending on what's in the water; algal
blooms, diatoms, other plankton, bacterial degradation of plants and
animals, waste from the organisms populating the ocean, and agricultural
runoff, to name a few. Much of the foam is due to "natural" causes - the
degrading membranous components of many plants and animals will foam under
the proper circumstances. ----Karen

>I was walking on the beach yesterday. The waves were crashing and the wind
>was gusting.
>As I watched the sunset, I was hit in the face by a large clump of foam.
>Does anyone know what causes this foam to form?
>
>Eric Muller
>Teacher-In-Residence
>Exploratorium
>3601 Lyon St.