Re: Pinhole Daily Digest

The Lahrs (john-jan@lahr.org)
Sat, 21 Mar 1998 12:08:31 -0700

Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 12:08:31 -0700
To: "Pinhole Listserv" <pinhole@exploratorium.edu>
From: The Lahrs <john-jan@lahr.org>
Subject: Re: Pinhole Daily Digest

>Date: 20 Mar 1998 10:46:29 U
>From: pauld@exploratorium.edu (Paul Doherty)
>Subject: magnet workshop
>
>Our upcoming workshop on magnets held at Project RAFT is full, however I
>would like to take questions from pinhole.
>So what do you want to know about magnets and magnetism?

Paul,

I've been trying to make a "home-built" levitron; you've no doubt
seen the spinning magnet that is suspended by a magnetic field.
I haven't come up with the right combination of inertia, weight, and
magnetic strength in the spinning magnet, nor a magnet of the right
size and strength to replace the base magnet. This might be a
fun snack if it were made a bit easier to build.

John

--
* John C. and Jan H. Lahr             *
* john-jan@lahr.org                   *