Teaching Position

Mike Ugawa (mugawa@stars.sfsu.edu)
Thu, 23 Apr 1998 20:49:06 -0700 (PDT)

From: Mike Ugawa <mugawa@stars.sfsu.edu>
Subject: Teaching Position
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 20:49:06 -0700 (PDT)

ANNOUNCEMENT OF PHYSICS TEACHING POSITION

An Honest Description From a Fellow Teacher:

This is to announce that the school where I teach, St. Ignatius College
Prep, will have an opening for a full-time physics teacher beginning next
semester AND probably a part-time position as well. The school is a
private, co-ed, college-preparatory institution located in the Sunset
District just off Sunset Blvd. at Quintara. As a member of the faculty, I
can attest to the fact that the school is exceptional in terms of
academics, student behavior, physical facilities, and the way faculty are
treated and supported. It is literally a totally different world from the
stereotypical images of inner-city public education. This is a place where
the facilities are immaculate, and the students get detention for not
having their shirts tucked in! In short it's a wonderful, problem-free
place to work.

Our regular physics course is equivalent to college physics without
calculus; we use Cutnell & Johnson as the text. There is also an Advanced
Placement course that is equivalent to the Mechanics semester with
calculus; that course uses Tipler. In other words, the level of the
physics taught is equivalent to lower division undergraduate courses, we
just go at a slightly slower pace and/or don't cover quite as many
topics. Thus, we need someone who has a degree/strong background in
physics, but a teaching credential is NOT required.

Finally, there is a common perception that private schools pay poorly.
This is NOT the case at St. Ignatius. Our pay scale is better than the SF
public schools. As a specific example, next year, which is my third year,
I will be making what would take ten years to reach in the SF Unified
School District.

If you are interested, please email me AT THE ADDRESS BELOW. (Do NOT reply
by posting to this mailing list, as I do not read it regularly.) I
would be happy to be your host for a visit, including lunch in our
outstanding dining room, which I consider to be one of the best fringe
benefits here.

Best wishes,
Mike Ugawa
mugawa@quark.sfsu.edu

--
  *                            MICHAEL B. UGAWA                            *