asbestos

Marc Afifi (mafifi@redshift.com)
Mon, 27 Apr 1998 09:01:45 -0700

Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 09:01:45 -0700
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
From: mafifi@redshift.com (Marc Afifi)
Subject: asbestos

I recently purchased a house which requires extensive remodeling. There is
an asbestos flue where the water heater used to be (we moved it outside to
make more room in the kitchen) and I am wondering how to deal with it. In
the course of discussions with several contractors, without fail, I was
advised to break it off and put it in the middle of a dumpster wrapped in a
plastic garbage bag. Aside from the disposal considerations and possible
fines associated with this approach, I voiced my concerns that breaking the
flue would release fibrous dust into the air which I do not wish to
breathe. Each contractor stated, without exception, that the health risks
of asbestos are exaggerated and that Scientific American had published a
report stating so.

Has anyone read the article he referred to? Does anyone know if the health
risks really have been exaggerated? Should I worry that I tore out the
linoleum (sheet type) and drywall that I may have exposed myself to
asbestos dust?

Any information you can share is most appreciated.

-Marc

P.S. Just an interesting sidebar: When I was in a geology class in college
it was pointed out that the California state rock, serpentine, gets it's
color and texture because it contains asbestos.

--
Marc Afifi
Physics and Chemistry

(408) 646-6590 ext. 223

Favorite Oakland Raiders Motto: "Just When Baby?"