Anyone made a frictionless dry ice puck?

Suzy Loper (suzanna@seismo.berkeley.edu)
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 14:48:34 -0700

Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 14:48:34 -0700
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
From: Suzy Loper <suzanna@seismo.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Anyone made a frictionless dry ice puck?

Hello pinholers,
I found a brief reference to a frictionless "puck" -- a small can
with dry ice in it and a hole in the bottom, which floats on a layer of
carbon dioxide. If this works, I imagine it being easier to handle than
the ones which have a balloon which forces air through a hole in the
bottom, because they run out of air pretty quickly.
But I can't quite imagine how this would work, it seems like the
carbon dioxide comes off so slowly you would need a really light container,
and how would it stay level?
Has anyone seen or tried something like this?

Suzy Loper
Longfellow Middle School, Berkeley