Hands-On Universe summer workshop

R Lohman (roaminlohman@telis.org)
Tue, 7 Jul 1998 16:40:23 -0800

Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 16:40:23 -0800
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
From: roaminlohman@telis.org (R Lohman)
Subject: Hands-On Universe summer workshop

Exploratorium colleagues (Pinholers):

For those of you who haven't already made a commitment for the summer or
still have a week of space in your time I'd like to invite you to
participate in a "hands-on" workshop in astronomy. The workshop is
sponsored by HANDS-ON UNIVERSE, a program funded through NSF. Tinka Ross
and I will be co-leading a workshop at Sonoma State University during the
week of July 27-31.

I have been using the HOU curriculum in my physics and astronomy classes at
Albany High School for the past 5 years, and Tinka uses it in her Astronomy
Lab course at College of Marin. It is also excellent for use in any course
(high or lower level) which includes some astronomy. Students enjoy the
opportunity to use computers to do real-world astronomy. They process data
from real astronomical images using image processing software. They also
have the ability to request images from a large HOU archive as well as from
several telescopes around the world.

You can see more about HOU on our WWW web page (http://hou.lbl.gov). You
can also register for either of the workshops on the web page. But please
feel free to write me on email (roaminlohman@telis.org) or call me at my
home (510-527-6805) if you have questions of any nature. There is a yearly
user fee of $250 (for ongoing support of you as the teacher, for software
upgrades and for access to our telescopes) which, in most cases, school
districts pay. However, there is also a teacher stipend of $300 paid
directly to each participant in the workshop.

Hope to hear from you.

Rich Lohman (roaminlohman@telis.org). I know some of you from the
Exploratorium four-week TI workshop in Physics during the summer of 1995 as
well as some of the Saturday workshops over the past few years.