Re: Mainstreaming

AECSoldat@aol.com
Fri, 7 Aug 1998 12:57:18 EDT

From: AECSoldat@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 12:57:18 EDT
To: Kirshen@aol.com
Subject: Re: Mainstreaming

Amy,
I have been doing some work at the University of Iowa in trying to develop
successful models of integrating science and special education students
together. Since there is so much variablity to students' disabilities and
needs there is no one formula for integration/mainstreaming.
We are advocating that teachers work in teams of science an special educators
to develop appropriate curriculum that allow for the success of students. It
tends to be more hands-on, student centered because we are focused at the
middle level students. The current laws advocate the students be integrated
more within the parameters of the regular classroom. We are using a more STS
(science-technology-society) approach which allows groups of students to
develop their own projects to coincide with the curriculum.
I am a middle level science teacher and hope this is helpful in you efforts to
improve science instruction for special needs students.
Christopher