re:mainstreaming

Burt C. Kessler (bcomet@sirius.com)
Fri, 14 Aug 1998 07:13:11 -0800

Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 07:13:11 -0800
To: pinhole@exploratorium.com
From: bcomet@sirius.com (Burt C. Kessler)
Subject: re:mainstreaming

Amy,

Another thought about providing your LD students with a meaningful
experience of science. The heart of the scientific method is asking
questions, hypothesizing answers and testing the hypotheses. Be sure to
elicit predictions and hypotheses from your LD students whenever possible.
By making predictions, and then seeing how accurate they were, these
students will experience science in action, along with the rest of the
class. Once students have put themselves out on a limb by making a
prediction, they have a personal investment in finding out if they were
correct. This goes a long way toward motivating them to follow through and
stay on task.

You might also want to look into the SAVI-SELPH materials. Science
Activities for the Visually Impaired and Science Education for the the
Limited Physically Handicapped. These include modified equipment and
techniques for students with physical limitations to do experiments.

Good luck,

Burt C. Kessler

If we had known grandchildren were so much fun, we would have had them first.