Disease Project

Owen Solberg (osolberg@infinex.com)
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 18:27:46 -0800

Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 18:27:46 -0800
From: Owen Solberg <osolberg@infinex.com>
To: Pinhole Listserv <pinhole@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Disease Project

Ian,

As part of a disease unit we did recently (10th grade bio classes), I
asked students to select a disease and write a "vignette" about it.
They were told to create a literary sketch of a person who had the
disease or perhaps was a care-giver. Basics like symptoms, mode of
transmission, treatments, etc. had to be included. The creative writing
aspect really worked well! Students presented (even dramatized) their
works. The most creative, sad, funny stories were also the most
memorable (in terms of leaning about the disease.)

Anyway, a DOC file (Word 6/7 format) with the list of disease I used is
at http://www.infinex.com/~osolberg/files/disease.doc if you are
interested.

Owen Solberg
osolberg@infinex.com