Disease project

ngronert@dcn.davis.ca.us
Sun, 15 Nov 1998 14:11:20 -0800

From: ngronert@dcn.davis.ca.us
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 14:11:20 -0800
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
Subject: Disease project

<A suggestion I saw at the National Middle School Association's convention
<in Denver was to use a fine powder that glows under a black light to
<demonstrate the transmission of germs. I don't know any other details,
<but suppose that if one person started with the powder on their hands at the
<start of the day, by the end of the day it would have spread to many
<other people's hands and the surfaces of the tables, etc.

I attended a week-long training last summer at CEPRAP (Center for
Engineering Plants for Resistance Against Pathogens) at the University of
California at Davis. In the binder of lesson plans we received there is a
lesson called "Introduction to Aseptic Technique" which has students
attempt to disinfect their lab area of "germs" before the black light is
brought around (also offered as an analysis of hand-washing technique
using a similar oil-base liquid). The powder they used and gave us is
called Glo-Germ which is a non-toxic powder of simulated germs from
Glo-Germ Co.
P.O. Box 537
Moab, Utah 84532 1-800-634-6622
The Glo-Germ kit we received contains a fluorescent lantern with torch, and
a bottle of orange oil base simulated germs as well.

CEPRAP put on a good week of labs, demonstrations, lectures and tours, and
sent us home with a binder of materials and a lot of lab and resource
materials: it was well worth the time.

Nancy

Nancy Gronert
e-mail: ngronert@dcn.davis.ca.us