I got this one wrong

Marc Afifi (mafifi@redshift.com)
Sun, 15 Nov 1998 19:21:04 +0000

Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 19:21:04 +0000
From: Marc Afifi <mafifi@redshift.com>
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
Subject: I got this one wrong

Hi,

In a recent test for my AP chemistry class was the following question:

Which conditions of P, T, and n, respectively, are most ideal?

a. high P, high T, high n
b. low P, low T, low n
c. high P, low T, high n
d. low P, high T, high n
e. low P, high T, low n

The correct answer is (d), but I selected (e) because I understood that
to approximate ideal conditions the particles should be moving at high
speeds and have great distances between them thus reducing molecular
interactions. Wouldn't the low n in selection (e) correlate to greater
intermolecular distances than a high n thus more closely approximating
an ideal gas? Is the publisher wrong? Thanks in advance for any
assistance you can provide in the matter.

--
Marc Afifi
Physics and Chemistry

(408) 646-6590 ext. 223

Favorite Oakland Raiders Motto: "Just When Baby?"