SATURDAY SESSIONS!

Eric Muller (emuller@exploratorium.edu)
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 13:50:37 -0800 (PST)

Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 13:50:37 -0800 (PST)
To: pinhole
From: Eric Muller <emuller@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: SATURDAY SESSIONS!

Teacher Institute
Spring 1999
Saturday Alumni Workshop Schedule

3601 Lyon Street
San Francisco, CA 94123
415-561-0313

Dear Teacher Institute Alumnus:

The Spring 1999 dates and topics for our workshops for summer institute
alumni are enclosed. We are offering our regular Saturdays, a workshop at
RAFT and a field trip with Canoes in Sloughs.

We have a large number of alumni in our teacher network, and as you may
have noticed, classes fill up quickly. It is important that if you sign
up, you attend. No shows cause colleagues to lose opportunities.

You may choose TWO regular Saturday sessions. Please indicate your choices
on the form on the reverse of this page, keep a copy for yourself, cut off
the end and mail it back to us, postmarked on or before February 3 , 1999.
Mail your response early, as we will take reservations on a first come
first served basis. Indicate a third choice which will serve as an
alternate in case one your choices is filled.

We will NOT contact you to say you are registered. Please come on the dates
you select. If one of your choices is no longer available, we will call
you. At the end of the semester you will receive a stipend of $50 per
workshop, unless otherwise indicated.

Please choose your dates with care so that we can accommodate everyone. If
your plans change, please call us by the Thursday preceding the session.
We look forward to seeing you on the dates you select!

Linda, Paul, Karen M,, Lori, Karen K., Eric, Don, and Modesto.

Exploratorium Teacher Institute
Spring 1999 Workshops
Select TWO Saturdays and keep this copy for your records!

sat, Feb. 6 8:30 am - 12:30 pm
Biochemistry Bonanza
Without biochemistry life couldn't be possible! These activities breathe
life into some old standards and relate basic biochemical processes to
living organisms, the environment, and even food science! Appropriate for
both beginning biochemists and seasoned veterans.

sat, Feb. 13 8:30 am - 12:30 pm
Valentines Day Science
Images of hearts, flowers, chocolate, love, sex, and cupids are dangled in
front of us as we approach this celebration. Come do some activities using
these multi-disciplinary themes. Rated PG-13. (Leave the kids home!)

sat, Feb. 20 8:30 am - 12:30 pm
Science Equipment Day "What the heck is this for and what does it do?"
Whether you inherited a closet full of mysterious equipment or your
cupboards are bare, come learn how to use your equipment and to build
simple, inexpensive tools.

sat, Mar. 6 8:30 am - 12:30 pm
Mathematics of Soap & Mirrors
Join us in a two-part workshop exploring the math of 1) soap film and
bubbles, and 2) image-making with mirrors.

sat, Mar. 13 8:30 am - 12:30 pm
PVC Day Using PVC as a primary ingredient, choose to make one of several
snacks for your classroom, or get creative. If you have a hot idea using
PVC, let us know in advance.

sat, Mar. 20 8:30 am - 12:30 pm
Electricity and Electrostatics Features activities about electrostatics and
electric current. Use styrofoam to explore the basic nature of
electricity, build a battery, a motor, and analyze simple circuits.

sat, Apr. 10 8:30 am - 12:30 pm
TI Science Film Festival Two big thumbs-up!!! -Siskel and Ebert. We will
be showing classic and destined to be classic short science videos and
films (many of which will be available from our library). Intermission
includes quick hands-on science activities.

sat, Apr. 17 8:30 am - 12:30 pm
Cars at RAFT Meet in Sunnyvale at RAFT. 408-524-9780 Build cars to
demonstrate mechanics from materials available at RAFT. Teachers will be
allowed to shop that day! Please do not bring your children to RAFT.
DIRECTIONS: (101 S toward San Jose, Matilda Ave. S. exit, go 5 blocks.
Turn right onto California Ave. At stop sign continue, left at yellow
gates "Sunnyvale Business Park" Map at entrance to locate #638.)

sat, Apr. 17 8:30 am - 12:30 pm
Advances in Perception "Say what you see!" Join Exploratorium exhibit
builder Richard Brown exploring visual perception further with new exhibits
developed for the upcoming "Seeing" exhibition. New TI perception
activities and "Snackversions" of the exhibits are featured.

sat, Apr. 24 8:30 am - 12:30 pm
Astronomy Day Join us for our 4th "Astronomy Day" co-hosted with the
Astronomical Society of the Pacific. Learn about the Sun doing some
stellar classroom activities. You will receive $50 worth of spectroscope
equipment in lieu of a stipend.

sat, May 1 8:30 am - 12:30 pm
Lasers Using inexpensive laser pointers, learn the physics of solid state
lasers. Build an optical bench using dead lantern batteries and
refrigerator magnets. Use the lasers to explore Jell-O lenses. You will
receive $50 worth of laser pointers in lieu of a stipend.

sat, May 8 8:30 am - 12:30 pm
Computer Science Science:
Get with the program! Try some cool on-line science activities, chat it up,
discover and share a few web sites, and find out what you can do off-line
and with an obsolete computer.

sat, May 15 9:00am - 1:00pm
Canoes in Sloughs
This workshop will meet in Redwood City . Save the San Francisco Bay
Association has generously offered to take us canoeing to Bair Island in
Redwood City! We'll learn ways to observe this unique wetland habitat,
test the water, and keep a journal. Details will be sent later to those
who sign up.

To sign-up:

A) print off the form below (please do not include upper section)
and fax or mail it in.

Teacher Institute Fax - 415-561-0313

or

Teacher Institute
3601 Lyon Street
San Francisco, CA 94123
415-561-0313

B) email Karen Mendelow at

karenm@exploratorium.edu

Please include the information below in your message.

Please circle the sessions you
plan to attend and
mail this part of the form back
(postmarked by February 3 ,1999) to:
Saturday Sessions
Exploratorium Teacher Institute
3601 Lyon Street
San Francisco, CA 94123
Name:_____________________________
Phone Number: _______________________
Choose TWO regular Saturday sessions by circling them. Write your
alternate choice here: __________________________

Biochemistry Bonanza sat, Feb. 6

Valentines Day Science sat, Feb. 13

Science Equipment Day sat, Feb. 20