starch and iodine

Walter Jonas (waltstime@gis.net)
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 06:34:41 -0500

Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 06:34:41 -0500
From: Walter Jonas <waltstime@gis.net>
To: pinhole@exploratorium.edu
Subject: starch and iodine

My daughter in 4th grade wanted to know why iodine turns black when put
on starch, and I have just spent half an hour trying to find out on the
web, after a fruitless search last night at the local library. I got
this far, so that I could actually ask the question. She has, of
course, only the basic kinds of understandings, valences would be way
beyond her, light absorbtion she could handle, as she could, in general,
molecular changes (albeit in the most fundamental way).

This is for her science project. Are there any sources which explain
this, that she could use in her poster?