Re: pinhole

Steven Eiger (eiger@montana.edu)
Wed, 19 May 1999 13:32:32 -0600

Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 13:32:32 -0600
To: "Pinhole Listserv" <pinhole@exploratorium.edu>
From: Steven Eiger <eiger@montana.edu>
Subject: Re: pinhole

In school I had to answer that question, and it depended on whether the
liquid was constrained or not. I would assume that if it is free to move
on the surface of water it is likely to be a single molecule thick; but in
the initial studies of bilayer biological membranes they were able to layer
it up by placing those liquids in a tray with sides. I am wondering what
would happen if a cup brimming over with water had a drop of oil put on it.
If it was extremely insoluble with no hydrophilic groups it might not
affect the surface tension and run off the surface. I believe it is
gravity that makes it one molecule thick. With something like oleic acid
which is amphipathic, the carboxyl group is stuck in the water and the oily
tail is upwards. Steven Eiger