Re: pinhole math and science

Steven Eiger (eiger@montana.edu)
Tue, 25 May 1999 10:03:05 -0600

Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 10:03:05 -0600
To: "Pinhole Listserv" <pinhole@exploratorium.edu>
From: Steven Eiger <eiger@montana.edu>
Subject: Re: pinhole math and science

Sarah, That is a great question. One way to sort of explain it is to
imagine the forces or effects resulting from little particles that spread
apart as they emanate from the source. For example photons or virtual
photons carry light and electronic forces; the surface area of the sphere
over which they are arrayed increases by r squared as it expands. The
really strange one is the magnetic force, it does not fit the mold and some
books even have it wrong, because the authors assume it does. Steve Eiger

.>A question from one of my colleagues (it's nice to work with folks who