Re: pinhole Square Laws

Dan Gray (dgray@justin-siena.napanet.net)
Tue, 25 May 1999 20:39:43 -0700

Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 20:39:43 -0700
From: Dan Gray <dgray@justin-siena.napanet.net>
To: Pinhole Listserv <pinhole@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Re: pinhole Square Laws

The inverse square law follows the geometry of a sphere, or for that matter the
base of a cone or pyramid. That is why such unrelated phenomena as light,
gravity, electric force, sound intensity etc all follow it. I'm not sure what
you mean by gravity being a pull on top of a pull. My understanding is that the
force of gravity (whatever that may actually be!) produces an acceleration. The
acceleration produces change in velocity on top of change in velocity which is
why the distance covered due to the force of gravity does increase as the square
of time. I don't think this square relates to the other however. Isn't it a
kick thinking about this stuff?

-Dan Gray