Re: Touch the SPring

From: On-line Snack discussion (snaktalk)
Date: Wed Aug 14 2002 - 20:02:30 PDT

Arbor Scientific http://www.arborsci.com/ which is linked from our
supplies page, offers the following:
"Product ID: P2-7150-02 Category: No Category Concave Mirror
optical principles a snap. Each silver-backed, non-aluminized mirror
measures 24" in diameter and is supplied with an aluminum frame, mounting
bracket, and base. Price: $100.00"
Of course, that's larger than 40cm and, although smaller ones are
available, you are right that the 40cm size does not seem to be offered
anymore. You might consider getting a smaller mirror and doing the
experiment with something smaller than a light bulb. A parabolic mirror
is a concave mirror designed so that it won't produce spherical
aberration. For an explanation see:
http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/refln/U13L3g.html There are many
other web sites that discuss this as well.

Nina Thayer
Snacktalk Moderator