The block works for us... so far

From: Dan (dgray@justin-siena.napanet.net)
Date: Sun Sep 12 1999 - 21:53:02 PDT

Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 21:53:02 -0700
From: Dan <dgray@justin-siena.napanet.net>
Subject: The block works for us... so far

I teach Honors Physics and 9th grade Earth Science at Justin-Siena HS in Napa.
We are on our second year with a block schedule. Our schedule is M-all classes
meet for 50 minutes; T, TH-1,2,3,4 meet for 80 minutes; W,F-5,6,7 meet for 80
minutes. So far the reviews are overwhelmingly positive from students, faculty
and administration. Last year I was able to cover the same amount of material
as in previous years, but I had to things differently. We did a lot more labs
and problem solving sessions. We also were able to discuss labs, something which
we often were unable to do previously. With a block I can (depending on the lab)
give a lab quiz, have the students perform and write up the lab, then collect and
discuss the lab.
With the 9th graders, I would never spend more than 30 minutes in one teaching
mode, be it lecture, group activity,etc. It's working (so far) for us. If you
are going to try this, you do have to guard against getting too relaxed. I can
see where it would become very easy to slow the whole period down, take more time
to get started, leisurely work your way through a lesson, then use time at the
end for students to do their homework. If this happens, then obviously you are
not going to cover as much material.
Good luck!

Dan Gray
dgray@justin-siena.napanet.net