Block Scheduling Science

From: SFPhysics@aol.com
Date: Mon Sep 13 1999 - 22:29:55 PDT

From: SFPhysics@aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 01:29:55 EDT
Subject: Block Scheduling Science

At Mission High we had long blocks Tuesdays through Fridays with all subjects
on Mondays. Much of the time this worked well but on days where the
experiments were short or there were no experiments, the periods became
tediously long. Many of our students were unable to cope with extending
their shorter attention span for nearly 2 hours. With just 3 long periods a
day each period worked out at about 150 minutes. A last period of normal
length was stuck on the last slot of all days to allow for the electives. On
days where your prep period occurs you are fine but when you have three long
classes in one day you do start to fade, at least your voice does. Us over
the hill types found that our feet were giving out too!

Best to the list,

Al Sefl