Lighting a pickle demonstration?

From: N. Gronert (ngronert@dcn.davis.ca.us)
Date: Wed Apr 12 2000 - 17:46:43 PDT

Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 17:46:43 -0700
From: "N. Gronert" <ngronert@dcn.davis.ca.us>
Subject: Lighting a pickle demonstration?

Hello! A student wants to do a demonstration where he says he'll light up
a pickle. He brought to class some kind of adapter which plugs into a
regular AC
outlet that has two metal prongs on wires. He wants to plug each metal
prong into opposite ends of a large wet pickle to watch it light up. He
has no write-up or safety considerations for it but says he saw it at a
science demonstration at his old school.

Have anyone heard of this demonstration or have any reference for it?

I have some concerns of my own, but any comments on the safety aspects of
this demonstration?

 A quick Internet check only led me to a reference on the dangers of
electricity by electrocuting a pickle from the Physics Department at Idaho
State University.

Thanks, Nancy

ngronert@dcn.davis.ca.us
NancyG@vusd.solanocoe.k12.ca.us