Re: Lighting a pickle demonstration?

From: RoyMayeda@aol.com
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 06:57:45 PDT

From: RoyMayeda@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 09:57:45 EDT
Subject: Re: Lighting a pickle demonstration?

Nancy-

Make sure the prongs don't contact anything other than the pickle. We've
also used a setup where the prongs (nails) are put through one-hole stoppers
and the stoppers held in clamps on ringstands. As Gary mentioned, plug it in
after you've inserted the prongs into the pickle, attend it closely, and
don't let anyone touch the apparatus including yourself (without gloves that
you are sure will insulate you). Also, be sure the prongs do not get close
to each other or touch. We had an instructor do that accidentally. This
resulted in a burned-out outlet and welded the nails together. (Strangely,
this did not throw the circuit breaker. "Can you say, 'Not up to code'?")

Roy Mayeda
Valley High, Sacramento
rmayeda@edcenter.egusd.k12.ca.us