Re: pinhole Lighting a pickle demonstration?

From: Gary Alexander Horne (gary.horne@excite.com)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 00:29:35 PDT

Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 00:29:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: Gary Alexander Horne <gary.horne@excite.com>
Subject: Re: pinhole Lighting a pickle demonstration?

I've done this experiment many times myself, although I would hesitate to
have a student do it as it is potentially dangerous. I wear heavy rubber
gloves and eye protection. I attach the wires to nails and stick them into
each side of the pickle. Once in, I THEN plug in the plug to the wall. The
pickle will fizz and smoke and then begin to glow, usually on only one side
though. As the current heats the pickle, a smelly steam will come out, and
sometimes that will actually push the nails out of the pickle, so it is
important that I stay near the pickle as the demonstration is taking place.
After the effect has been seen long enough, I unplug it, and then you can
safely remove the nails.

Although I don't reccomend it, I have also moved the nails around while
plugged in so that students can see where and when the glows take place.

It is a VERY smelly demo. Hope this helps.

Gary Horne

Gary Horne
4481-A Appian Way
El Sobrante, CA 94803