Re: PD in the Andes and Donald Duck & He

From: pauld@exploratorium.edu
Date: Mon Dec 04 2000 - 04:08:35 PST

From: pauld@exploratorium.edu
Subject: Re: PD in the Andes and Donald Duck & He
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 12:08:35 GMT

A note about breathing CO2

Tom Tompkins did this and reported being more out-of-breath than he had ever
been in his life!
It turns out your body uses the CO2 concentration in the blood to signal the
need to breathe.

Speaking of breathing, I´m am ansering this e-mail from the lobby of a hotel at
3000 meters above sea level in the Andes above Santiago Chile. Yesterday I felt
the need to breathe heavily as we ascended a local 4000 meter peak.

Together with 3 friends I´m here getting in shape for an attempt to climb a
previously unclimbed 6000 meter peak. Sierra Nevada de Lagunas Bravas. Don´t
expect too many e-mails, I was amazed to find this one.

By the way I´m using two operating systems I am not used to, Microsoft internet
Explorer, on an IBM compatible, with a Spanish Language operating system.

My Spanish is getting a real workout.

See you all after the Holidays.

Paul D>

This message was sent using Exploratorium web mail
           http://www.exploratorium.edu/