Re: Pinhole Digest #665 - 06/14/01

From: Steven Eiger (eiger@montana.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 15 2001 - 13:05:21 PDT

Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 14:05:21 -0600
From: Steven Eiger <eiger@montana.edu>
Subject: Re: Pinhole Digest #665 - 06/14/01

While there were probably some political implications to the post in
question, I think that we have a social responsibility as science teachers
to make our students aware of what scientists are predicting in the
environmental arena. Each year their predictions are given with more and
more strength as the data keeps piling up. Should NPR be silenced because
it has recently been reporting on scientist's and the world's exasperation
with Bush? there certainly are political implications to these reports,
but they are in line with the best science. In regards to ethanol; I am
not sure if it's use is any sort of answer, I vaguely remember reading an
analysis that left it on a par with gasoline. Conservation, alternative
energy research, and birth control are ideas which seem anathema to many
republicans; should all discussion of them be surpressed until a new
administration takes over? Eiger

>I consider your post to be political and hence a violation of the guidelines
>for this listserv.
>
>I use 10% ethanol additive gasoline. It is a natural additive from corn, a
>renewable resource, and it burns cleanly. It reduces by 10% the amount of
>nonrenewable petroleum based fuel that I use. This is by choice. It is not
>an edict. Should I be allowed to organize a movement to encourage people
>state, nation, or worldwide to do the same?
>
>P.S.: Not all on this list oppose the actions of the Bush administration.

Steven Eiger, Ph.D.

Department of Cell Biology and Neuroscience and the WWAMI Medical Education
Program
PO Box 173148
Montana State University - Bozeman
Bozeman, MT 59717-3148