Lava flow management

From: Adam Singer (adamsinger@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 15:14:20 PST

Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 15:14:20 -0800
From: Adam Singer <adamsinger@earthlink.net>
Subject: Lava flow management

Hey, for all you volcanologists out there... in our textbook it states
that three factors affect how thick a lava flow is: temperature, gas
content, and silica content. One of my 7th grade students asked if
anyone had ever tried dumping massive amounts of silica into the head of
a lava flow to slow down its progress... has anyone ever heard of this
being tried?

-- Adam Singer
    Gallinas K-8
    San Rafael, CA