protein synthesis

From: Melissa Graviss (mgraviss@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Nov 28 2001 - 08:37:17 PST

Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 08:37:17 -0800 (PST)
From: Melissa Graviss <mgraviss@yahoo.com>
Subject: protein synthesis

Hi pinholers.

One of my students raised a thoughtful question during
a discussion of translation and I thought I would send
it out there. He was familiar with the
term,"essential amino acids" and wondered what
happened, during translation, if mRNA is coding for an
amino acid that the cell does not have at it's
disposal. I said I thought that the protein would not
be synthesized but we weren't sure what would happen
with the process, since the ribosome would
theoretically never reach the stop codon. Anyone have
any info about this?

Thanks.

-melissa graviss
mgraviss@yahoo.com