Re: white boards

From: RoyMayeda@aol.com
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 06:22:09 PST

From: RoyMayeda@aol.com
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 09:22:09 EST
Subject: Re: white boards

Another thought on whiteboards. We use showerboard (which I'm pretty sure is
that same melamine laminate over something like pegboard/hardboard material)
for student slates. Nice for doing group presentations when you want
graphics but don't want to have a bunch of posters sitting around. We have
the building supply store cut a 4 x 8 sheet into four or six pieces,
depending on how large you want the individual sheets to be. A few markers
and voila! Students seem to like it -- they can work in small groups, and
changing the work is simpler than on posters. It doesn't have the permanence
of posters, but is great for small daily practice exercises. If your boards
are really bad and the district won't do anything about it, you might want to
pop a couple full sheets of this up just to make it easier for the kids to
read. Won't look good, but they will be able to read it. (You can also
bring up what ISN'T going into classroom budgets during parent visits. Yeah,
yeah ... always the troublemaker.)

Roy Mayeda
Valley High School
Sacramento, CA