Talky Squaky Boxes and Oakland Teacher Science

From: Raleigh McLemore (raleighmclemore@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 12:43:01 PDT

Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 12:43:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: Raleigh McLemore <raleighmclemore@yahoo.com>
Subject: Talky Squaky Boxes and Oakland Teacher Science

I was at the "East Bay Depot for Creative Reuse"
yesterday looking for foam pads to put ostrich eggs
on. Saw hundreds of plastic boxes, maybe 5-8 inches
long. They turn out to make baby noises, probably for
some kids doll, just annoying as all get out, but I
took one home and disassembled it to find they have
tiny record players in them. They must be very old
technology. Each one is one dollar, has a small motor,
drive belt, plastic cone speaker, pulley, "turntable"
with approx. 1 1/2 inch recording of baby noises
embedded on it, a little "ratchet" gizmo that restarts
the noise and battery box. By golly I can't stand the
noise but I think I can make a motor drive a "mouse
trap" type of car, with CD wheels, or something. The
fact that the thing takes a needle and plays it
through a plastic cone speaker is so cool you can hang
meat on it. If you like junk like this (no life other
than teaching?) you can probably get a discount if you
buy many.

Their address:

6713 San Pablo Avenue, Oakland, near Ashby.
(510) 547-6470

Also, Oakland Teachers remember that the SMART Center,
at the Old Chabot Science Center, will be giving away
all kinds of stuff, demo text books (science and math)
demo everything and some glass-wear, cd roms, laser
disks, etc. 9-1 PM on Saturday, April 12th. So if you
have a closet that science stuff doesn't fall out of
when you open the door, here's your chance to load it
up!

With firm handshake,
Raleigh