Re: pinhole Dumb question number 564

From: Paul Doherty (pauld@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 13 2002 - 14:19:41 PDT

Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 14:19:41 -0700
From: Paul Doherty <pauld@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Re: pinhole Dumb question number 564

Hi Mark

It's more complicated than that.

If you had salt NaCl which features non-directional ionic bonds then the
distance between oppositely charged ions would allow you to calculate
electrical potential energies. increased distances between the ions would
indeed be increased electrostatic potential energy.

alas with hydrogen bonds in water it is not that simple.

Paul D