Re: pinhole wave question

From: RoyMayeda@aol.com
Date: Mon Apr 29 2002 - 08:44:57 PDT

Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 11:44:57 -0400
From: RoyMayeda@aol.com
Subject: Re: pinhole wave question

Uh, Raleigh? Just exactly what are you doing squeezing hogs? :-) As a trombone player (among other instruments, mostly "former ___ player") I thought I'd chime in. The frequency is not changed by volume, however the frequency can be changed in the process of changing volume. If an inexperienced brass or woodwind player changes volume, they often change the tension in their lips, which will change the frequency (pitch) of the note. This was one of the dangers of "overblowing. And just remember, it could be worse ... she could be playing clarinet! (Nothing against woodwinds, but beginners seem to be able to produce more odd screeching sounds from high woodwinds than from low brass.) Just don't teach her how to whistle with her mouthpiece and you'll be fine.

Roy Mayeda
Valley HS, Sacramento