Re: pinhole Thermometer repair

From: NFetter@aol.com
Date: Mon May 20 2002 - 19:53:02 PDT

From: NFetter@aol.com
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 22:53:02 EDT
Subject: Re: pinhole Thermometer repair

Hi Adam,
When I get a thermometer with bubbles, I go the other way. Most glass
themometers have a small bulge at the top, so I heat the bottom bulb of the
thermometer in a bunsen burner flame VERY CAREFULLY until the mercury reaches
the bulge at the top where the column will join together. Do not overheat or
you will have a mercury mess to clean up when the thermometer breaks. By the
way, I no longer use mercury thermometers because of the health hazard from
spilled mercury if the thermometer breaks.
Neil Fetter