Re: vernier graphing motion

From: Deb Jensen (deb@meer.net)
Date: Sat Sep 28 2002 - 21:53:24 PDT

Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 21:53:24 -0700
From: Deb Jensen <deb@meer.net>
Subject: Re: vernier graphing motion

>Subject: vernier graphing motion
>From: "Marc Crown" <mcrown@gwhs.org>
>Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 17:07:04 -0700
>
>--============_-1178950870==_ma============
>
>Has anyone used the vernier motion detector to graph speed? I have a
>9th grade physical science class and I just taught them d/t graphs
>and now I would like to reinforce the concept by having them walking
>toward the motion detector. I

I do something like this with my 9th graders, using the PASCO probes. We
do both d-t and v-t graphs, but
keep the motions very simple:

1. Walk away slowly. Walk away fast. Graph both lines on the same graph.
Compare slopes.

2. Walk towards slowly. Walk towards fast. Graph both lines on the same
graph. Compare slopes.

3. Walk away slowly, stop, walk back fast.

Discuss slopes, +/- values for velocity.
I then give them some sample graphs and they have to describe the motions
shown.

deb \m/