Re: Burners and/or Torches

From: Raleigh McLemore (raleighmclemore@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Oct 18 2002 - 11:47:25 PDT

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 11:47:25 -0700 (PDT)
From: Raleigh McLemore <raleighmclemore@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Burners and/or Torches

Another warning on zinc. In my previous incarnation as
mechanic/electrician/welder, the journeymen welders
often took precautions when getting heat near zinc,
even when they didn't protect themselves from other
metals. There were many legend stories of "zinc fever"
among the welders, the symptoms were terrifying and I
rarely saw welders act so carefully as when we were
near zinc or chrome. I suspect that this "fever" was
the result of continuous exposure, but I never asked
and always wore a "sucker" respirator myself as nearly
everything that I welded seemed pretty dangerous to
me. So we should all be careful. I know it is silly
but this has always kept me from trying to ingest zinc
for things like colds, etc.

Thanks to Eric for a great set of mini-chemistry
lessons at the Exploratorium last Wednesday. He showed
us an incredible experiment using alcohol and an empty
plastic 5 gallon water bottle and a pretty nifty way
to teach balancing equations.

With firm handshake,
Raleigh