Re: Magnetic Shock Absorbers

From: Raleigh McLemore (raleighmclemore@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Feb 23 2003 - 10:27:33 PST

Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 10:27:33 -0800 (PST)
From: Raleigh McLemore <raleighmclemore@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Magnetic Shock Absorbers

One thing at a time. First I have to get the shock.
Then I have to disassemble it. The next decision needs
to be whether to use the disassembled shock to show
magnet applications in a cool car by just using the
shock or to just use the fluid. I guess it depends on
what color the fluid is and how it acts. The stuff at
the Exploratorium was clear (is is silicon based?) and
the iron particles "appeared" when subject to a
magnetic field. If I cannot "see" the particles react
to the magnetic field and only viscosity (is that the
correct use of the word using a magnetic fluid?) is
changing then I might just hang on to the shock and
show application. Off hand I can't think of an
immediate application for viscosity change in
elementary school. Once I've decided what to do then I
will pour through the California Science Standards and
find some excuse for using it.

With firm handshake,
Raleigh