gummy bears

From: Anita Roberts (anitaqr@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Mar 06 2003 - 12:26:25 PST

Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 12:26:25 -0800 (PST)
From: Anita Roberts <anitaqr@yahoo.com>
Subject: gummy bears

I have heard a lot about putting gummy bears in water
and making them expand. I would like to know why this
happens. I understand that they are made of gelatin
and sugar. One source says that water enters the bears
because of osmosis. I am confused because there is no
cell membrane, and I was under the assumption that
osmosis dealt with membranes. What is going on? Also,
if this osmosis explanation is correct then would you
get different amounts of expansion in liquids with
different salt concentrations?

Thanks!