Re: pinhole crayons

From: Lori Lambertson (loril@exploratorium.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 11 2003 - 12:53:23 PDT

Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 12:53:23 -0700
From: Lori Lambertson <loril@exploratorium.edu>
Subject: Re: pinhole crayons

Hi Raleigh,
One of my favorite uses of old crayons is the activity called the "Crayon
Rock Cycle". Of course, I don't have an electronic copy to attach here,
but my colleague Eric Muller found two web versions that are pretty close
to what I had in mind.
Take a look at:
http://www.sfsu.edu/~gk12sf/resources/GR6-RockFormation.pdf
and also at
http://library.thinkquest.org/J002289/rcycleact.html
One piece I like to add that neither of these versions mentions is having
students compare their igneous, sedimentary and metamorphic crayon "rocks"
to real igneous, sedimentary and metamorhpic rocks.
Also - you can shred the crayons fairly easily by rubbing the edge of a
craft stick (e.g. popsicle stick) along the length of the crayon. This tip
is from Coral Clark.
None of us teaches in a vacuum!
Have fun!
Cheers,
Lori

In a clear admission of my lack of artistic creativity