Burning hydrocarbon gases

From: Geoff Ruth (gruth@leadershiphigh.org)
Date: Sun Apr 20 2003 - 11:36:54 PDT

Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 11:36:54 -0700
From: Geoff Ruth <gruth@leadershiphigh.org>
Subject: Burning hydrocarbon gases

This morning I was thinking about the simpler hydrocarbon gases and
which ones are used for combustion by people. Methane (CH4) is burned
a lot, as are propane (C3H8) and butane (C4H10), but I don't know of
many instances where ethane (C2H6) is used. Does anyone know in what
circumstances ethane is used as a fuel? And why isn't ethane more
commonly used in residential applications?

Thanks,
Geoff