Re: pinhole small circular rainbow question

From: pauld@exploratorium.edu
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 20:33:53 PDT

From: pauld@exploratorium.edu
Subject: Re: pinhole small circular rainbow question
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 20:33:47 US/Pacific

Hi Debbie

You have described an optical phenomenon known as a glory.

It is much smaller in angular diameter than a rainbow. And has pastel colors.

If the plane is closer to the clouds the shadow of the plane appears in the
center of the glory.

Glories have complex physics. Light forms a surface wave that propagates around
the uniform water drops in a cloud.

Good observing.

Your glasses are fine.

Paul D

> I was flying home to Boston yesterday and I noticed a rainbow outside the plane's
window.
It was circular, which makes complete sense (I was viewing it above the clouds,
thus
against a white background, so I could perceive all of it). Here's what I don't
get. It
was much much smaller than a typical rainbow. In diameter, it was about one fist
held at
arm's length. I ruled out some obvious explanations but was then stuck. Any
answers?
Other than "get a new pair of glasses?" :)