Re: CLAD

From: Adam Singer (adamsinger@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Apr 29 2003 - 08:38:46 PDT

Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 08:38:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: Adam Singer <adamsinger@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: CLAD

Kim, Let me try to take a crack at this...

  As far as requiring CLAD, most school districts with a significant percentage of language learners have begun to require CLAD certification of their employees and applicants. CLAD is now woven into most current credential programs, so that new teachers on the scene will already have their CLAD. I believe that district CLAD requirements for teaching are a negotiated issue in contracts between the union and the school distrct, and penalties also fall into that category, so I'd talk to your union rep about that.
  My distrct required that I get certified after the fact (I was in one of the last credential classes not to have CLAD woven into the curriculum). I was sked to pay for the training myself, but I was reimbursed by the school's TITLE VII grant. Without that grant, the school would not have been able to fund my training.
  Many teachers in my school chose the testing option and passed with minimal preparation. I hope this is of help to you.

Adam Singer
Gallinas K-8 School
177 North San Pedro Road
San Rafael, CA 94930