RE: Variations in Frequency

From: Andreski, Martha (andreskim@dlshs.org)
Date: Sun May 18 2003 - 20:53:49 PDT

Subject: RE: Variations in Frequency
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 20:53:49 -0700
From: "Andreski, Martha" <andreskim@dlshs.org>

You are exactly correct - that you'll hear additional resonances each 1/2 wavelength. We achieved 3 resonances with a high frequency tuning fork and a contraption I made from cutting in half an 8' section (maybe 4" diameter) PVC pipe, capping and gluing one end. Fill that up with water - well you can't fill it all the way but you'll figure that out - and insert another 4' length of PVC - this time a narrow (ie 3/4") pipe. That's the one you raise out of the water. Advice - use good duct tape to affix the larger pipe semi-permanently to a lab bench - tape near the top and near the bottom or you'll have a large volume of water to mop up. Students have to stand on the lab bench to do this lab - adding to the fun. The tricky part is viewing the water level - it's dark in that tube and as the narrower tube is raised higher and higher the level is lower and lower. I've toyed with using a piezo buzzer "conductivity meter" with graduations that is inserted just until the buzzer sounds but this will annoy ev
eryone trying to hear the resonances. Perhaps a simple LED would be better. Oh, for those of you suggesting to use a flashlight or insert a stick - I've tried that but I'll take other suggestions!

Marti Andreski, currently "femme de la chem" but soon returning to Physics!
De La Salle HS
andreskim@dlshs.org