Re: Pinhole Digest #1296 - 08/31/03

From: dave barker (dbarker_sfusd@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Aug 31 2003 - 20:05:10 PDT

Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 20:05:10 -0700 (PDT)
From: dave barker <dbarker_sfusd@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Pinhole Digest #1296 - 08/31/03

> Subject: class set of whiteboards
> From: "Carol Wawrukiewicz Connelly"
> <carolwaw@hotmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 18:59:17 +0000

> I'd like to make a classroom set of small
> whiteboards, and I seem to
> remember that there is an inexpensive material that
> can be bought at home
> improvement stores that will serve the purpose. Has
> anyone done this? Do
> you know what the material is called? Also, does
> anyone know a source of
> cheap dry-erase pens?
>
> thanks!
> Carol Connelly
> carolwaw@hotmail.com

Hi Carol,

Go to Home Depot and ask for "tile board." There are
several kinds of tile board on display, but you'll
recognize the one you need because the surface is
smooth and white. The disadvantage is that they come
in 4 x 8 foot sheets. If you know someone with a
truck, this will work, and you can either leave them
the way they are, or cut them to the size you want.

For more stability, you can mount the tile board to
some 1/2 inch plywood, which is also sold in 4 x 8
sheets. You might find smaller sizes in their scrap
section, if you ask. You can mount the dry erase board
to the plywood with 'liquid nail," which I haven't yet
used myself, but I heard works very well.

After that, you can drill a hole in each corner, and a
couple more in between, and mount it to the wall using
either wood screws (if you find a stud), or anchors if
you are going straight into the wall. If the wall is
concrete, you'll have to use a masonry drill bit to
drill a hole into the concrete, put a concrete anchor
in the hole, and use masonry screws instead.

You can put a nice border around the white board by
buying some flat molding or wood trim, cutting the
corners properly at 45 degree angles, and securing
these to the wall around the white board (and you can
paint these, as well!).

To pay for all this, you can fax in a request to the
store, or, you can tell someone there it's for a
school and hope they just give it to you on the spot.
They gave me stuff before, on the spot, and I also
faxed a request in last year for some items but waited
and waited and waited until I finally just bought it
myself and asked the Principal of my school for a
reimbursement.

I hope all this helps.

Dave Barker
Oakland Charter Academy

=====
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
Benjamin Franklin

"No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is
in session."
Nineteenth century jurist