two questions

From: Mike Schulist (schulist@marin.k12.ca.us)
Date: Wed Oct 29 2003 - 12:22:31 PST

Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 12:22:31 -0800
From: Mike Schulist <schulist@marin.k12.ca.us>
Subject: two questions

My students noticed that during the recent hot weather, they have
felt hot and cold pockets of air as they walked around. We even went
on a brief "hotspot" walk outside of our classroom and found a few.
My only explanation was that the air pockets radiate from the ground
as different surfaces create different temperatures, and that the
breeze has been so light that it hasn't dispersed the air as normal.
What did I miss?

Another student asked whether an object moving in a gravitional field
would accelerate indefinitely because there is no air resistance.
He wanted to know if an object could reach super high speeds because
of this. My answer: theoretically yes, but realistically no because
the object would either hit the thing it was attracted to, or go into
orbit around it, which would make it maintain a constant speed. Is
this correct?

Thanks for your help!
Mike Schulist
Miller Creek Middle School