Re: pinhole two questions

From: pauld@exploratorium.edu
Date: Wed Oct 29 2003 - 18:00:57 PST

Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 18:00:57 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: pinhole two questions
From: pauld@exploratorium.edu

Hi Mike

The students should note whether they feel hot or cold pockets of air or
hot places of enhanced radiation.
Walk near a wall that has been in the sun for a while and it will feel warm.

However hot air masses are possible.
Air near the ground warms and then rises as a "thermal" if you walk
through a thermal it will feel hotter.

Also if you are in a wind it feels cooler even if the air temp is the same
as a place where it is calm and feels hotter.

You are right! The accelerating object will either hit the planet or pass
by it and be slowed by the same gravity that sped it up. An orbit.

Paul D