Re: pinhole Static Electricity

From: pauld@exploratorium.edu
Date: Wed Oct 29 2003 - 17:44:00 PST

Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 17:44:00 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: pinhole Static Electricity
From: pauld@exploratorium.edu

Hi Joe

The capacitance of the metal plate is proportional to its area. The amount
of charge stored on the plate is proportional to the capacitance.
Therefore bigger is better and area scales as the square of the radius of
the plate

This styrofoam plates get a negative charge when rubbed with wool. So do
vinyl records. But the records are thicker.
The negaitve charges induce an opposite positive charge in the table
underneath the record or styrofoam plate. Thus thicker styrofoam is
better. I use a minimum of 1" thick styrofoem meant for home insulation. I
don't use styrofoam plates except in emergencies. Try using 3 or more
plates stacked together and see if that helps.

Paul D

.> Hello,