Subject: Re: pinhole pounds

From: Raleigh McLemore (raleighmclemore@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Nov 21 2003 - 21:16:50 PST

Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 21:16:50 -0800 (PST)
From: Raleigh McLemore <raleighmclemore@yahoo.com>
Subject: Subject: Re: pinhole pounds

Rilla says that weight is measured on a spring scale,
and mass on a balance, but this would still have to be
done on Earth, correct? A true balance...a
teeter-totter, wouldn't work in space, true? If weight
is measured by gravity extending a spring on a scale
and the mass is measured by gravity affecting unequal
masses on a balance, I don't think I understand the
operational difference.
I used to think that pounds were a mass measurement
and would describe problems with my increased weight
as a "reduction in my overall density" as I figured it
was caused by fat. I guess I can still do this.
Is mass, ultimately just the total number of protons
and neutrons in a volume (with a tad for the
electrons). Maybe in the future we will "weigh" people
by counting charges.

With less dense handshake,
Raleigh