Earth Science CST Test

From: Melissa Hero (mhero@seq.org)
Date: Wed Dec 17 2003 - 11:00:17 PST

Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 11:00:17 -0800
From: "Melissa Hero" <mhero@seq.org>
Subject: Earth Science CST Test

My school (and district) are giving our freshman students the integrated
1 CST test this year. Our district is forcing us to do so - so that our
students don't receive the baseline score of 200. Our freshman course
doesn't match with the standards, so we are changing our curriculum
until the test.

Next year we have 3 options, teach integrated 1 (which we do not
favor), put all of our freshmen in biology (again this isn't the best
idea), or have a new class that is a standards based class that has a
test that directly correlates with it.

I was thinking Earth Science. I taught that in Vacaville to freshman.
But people here in the bay area say that the Earth Science CST is at an
11th grade reading level. I didn't notice that 2 years ago in
Vacaville. The students didn't seem to have problems with the reading
level.

I have tried looking in the standards, the framework, and on the cde
webpage and couldn't find anything to support this. The framework says
that the content strands for high school can be taken any year in high
school, it is up to the school or district.

Does anyone have any info on this? Is it true that the Earth Science
CST reading level is too hard for 9th graders? Does anyone teach
freshmen earth science? What have you noticed?

Thank you!
Melissa