Hot chocolate phenomenon

From: Matthew Micari (mmicari@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Sep 13 2004 - 18:54:08 PDT

Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 18:54:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: Matthew Micari <mmicari@yahoo.com>
Subject: Hot chocolate phenomenon

Hey, a friend asked me this question and I have NO
idea.

Stir a cup of hot chocolate (swiss miss
instant in hot water) with a metal spoon.Then, with
the spoon in the mug, tap the spoon with an even
rhythm against the bottom of the mug. You will hear
the sounds of the spoon clanking against the mug
increase in pitch.
 What causes this increase in pitch?

We tried this with tea and there was no pitch increase.