Re: Hot chocolate phenomenon

From: ROY MAYEDA (roymayeda@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Sep 14 2004 - 21:02:44 PDT

Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 21:02:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: ROY MAYEDA <roymayeda@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Hot chocolate phenomenon

Just another shot in the dark (I really should invest
in some tracers!). As instant cocoa is mixed into
very hot water, it usually forms a lot of small
bubbles in the liquid (mostly from air trapped in the
powder, but also steam bubbles nucleated in microwaved
water). I believe that this would decrease the speed
of sound in the cocoa and drop its resonant frequency.
 (Like the effect of XeF6 on voice?) As the bubbles
dissipate, the density of the cocoa should increase,
increasing the speed of sound within the cocoa, and
increasing the resonant frequency. (Like inhaling
He.)

Drink up!

Roy Mayeda
Wheaton HS, Wheaton, MN