winogradsky columns

From: Kelly Vaughan (kvaughan@mh3.echalk.com)
Date: Mon Nov 08 2004 - 15:07:37 PST

From: "Kelly Vaughan" <kvaughan@mh3.echalk.com>
Subject: winogradsky columns
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 18:07:37 -0500

So, I decided to try making winogradsky
columns in plastic water bottles, so that my students could see the range
of bacteria that grow under different conditions, and also because the
winogradsky column at the exploratorium is so beautiful.

Each group made one bottle, so we have 12, and to add some variables, we
put 1/3 in the dark, 1/3 in natural light, and 1/3 in front of a heat
lamp. They are beginning to develop some colorful bacteria (esp. those in
front of the light), but the problem is that they smell AWFUL. My room is
not that well-ventilated, and this experiment is making it STINK! A
couple of students complain that the smell is making them sick.

I'm considering ditching the experiment, or just keeping one bottle, but
I'm also open to other suggestions. Has anyone done this activity
successfully without the horrific smells? Is it worth it, in the end?
Advice on cutting down on the fumes?

Thanks for your help!
Kelly